 Robotics / 9829
Re: 2 Motors -> 1 axle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:31:25 GMT

Dave Johnson <djohnson@sirius.com> wrote in message
news:0FNZ00JD94JH7Y@mta3.snfc21.pbi.net...
Unfortunately, the motors were different enough that the gears actually
skipped teeth occasionally. Running in one direction would probably be
OK, but in this application I'm switching direction constantly, and it
didn't work. Also, even if the gears remained meshed, it's not an
effective use of the power in the motors: one of them is always pulling
the other one along, robbing the whole system of power.

I think you are drawing entirely the wrong conclusions.  As others have
said, your mechanical connection is at fault, not the differences between
motors.  Two motors are better than one. Period.  (assuming they are going
in the same direction ;-)  They do not interfere with each other.

The scientific test is to tach each motor separately, then tach them
together, driving the same load in all cases.

--Jack Gregory