 Robotics / 9830
Re: Robotics help laserscanning of 3D environment.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:37:38 GMT

All the professional ones use essentially the same concept.  Laser
interferiometry to determine distance, and some kind of computer controlled
most to increment the laser head.  A series of points are the raw data.
Filtering is necessary (there are false points).  Building a CAD model from
the data is not trivial, but it depends on what you are using it for.

Hard to see how it relates to LEGO robots, though.  These are expensive.  I
would love to have any kind of precision distance sensor for the RCX, but as
these are large data sets, it just doesn't seem practical right now.

--Jack Gregory

Henri Smulders <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
I need some info on the principles behind 3D laserscanning. (ie: cyberscan
etc..). Please don't tell me that it won't fit in my RCX since this • project
will run on a PC104 platform running a tiny customized version of the • Linux
kernel or QNX. I basically want to scan in topographical data from a • moving
object so that it can create a wireframe of its surroundings. Any
hints/tips/links deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Hajo