 Robotics / 9707
Re: Balancing Bots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:29:36 GMT

Dave Johnson <djohnson@sirius.com> wrote:
[...big snip...]
Second, To make the reaction speedy, I basically have to gear up the
motor, but power suffers (and correcting from a large off-angle requires
power AND speed). Has anyone ever tried driving the same axle with 2
motors simultaneously? That seems like it would be ideal, but I know the
motors are never identical and having them "fighting"each other would be
a bad idea. Maybe some sort of differential arrangement...

You can safely drive the same axle with more than one motor. Yes they are
never identical but this won't cause you any problem. They simply will have
a (slightly) different load, but if you don't stall them for a long time
there's no way to damage them. Nothing different to what happens when you
apply any kind of load to an electric motor. Lego Train fans use regualrely
more than one motor to drive long trains.

Just be sure the polarity is correct and they don't oppose each other :-)

If you use a differential the additional friction will make you loose some
power.

BTW, I plan to use 4 motors connected to the same axle to robotize my 8448.
After all it's a sportcar and it must go *fast*... :-) Obviously they won't
be connected directly to the RCX because it limits the maximum current
available for the motors. I will connect them to a battery box thru' an
RCX-driven switch.

Mario

Web page: http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari
LUGNET member page:  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=22