 Robotics / 9608
Re: Roboarm from Dave Baum's super book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 13:27:12 GMT

Are there plans to make the part models available?

-Rich

In lugnet.technic, Dave Baum writes:
You're correct.  We used RayDream, which has an introductory version
priced aroun $100.  The full version is a bit more ($300-$400 I think).
Some details on the renderings are at:

http://www.apress.com/Mindstorms/render.html

I haven't been keeping track of the Lego CAD situation recently, but when
we started work (February 1999) the only tool available for Mac with an
existing Lego part library was POVRay, which is pretty nasty in terms of
constructing scenes - I wanted drag-and-drop editing not text file
editing.

I would've considered using a PC if the *ideal* solution was available,
but at the time I didn't find anything.  I expect the tools have evolved a
bit and that if I were to make the same evaluation now I might reach a
different conclusion.  I also have to admit I wasn't looking *too* hard
since I really didn't want to run out and buy a PC or two just to write
the book.

Constructing all the pieces ourselves had certain advantages - such as
cambering the corners of bricks/beams/plates to make seams more visible.
We were trying to walk the line between photo-realistic rendering and
illustration.  Technical illustration, such as that used in the Lego
instructions themselves, is definitely better for showing how to put
things together.  However the 3D look had a certain appeal, and we stuck
with it (partly as a way to differentiate our book from Lego's
instructions).  Next time out we'll improve some of the trouble spots.

Dave

In article <FnLv7r.30I@lugnet.com>, "John Matthews"
<jmatthew@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

I thought I saw somewhere that they used RayDream, an inexpensive
modeling/rendering package.  The parts were custom made so that black on
black beams render well.  Notice the small bevel on top of the beams.
Ingenious!

Hope I'm not stepping on Dave's toes here, but I believe the above to be
correct.

Build On!
John Matthews

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
Dave Baum wrote:

(1)  I hope I don't come across too "defensive" about this.  I'm • somewhat
of a perfectionist about certain things, and it bothered me to not have
the tools/resources/time to make things "perfect".

How did you guys do your instructions? I figured you would have used
MLCad/LDLite/L3P/POVRay or some combination of those, but it didn't look
like it to me..

reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com