 Robotics / 9298
Re: First Lego League Software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 03:33:31 GMT

J G Gregory <jgg@ultranet.com> wrote:
Well, I worked with 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, after school, and with
limited computer resources, and believe me, we barely could get time to deal
with RCX Code except in a hand-holding way.  Maybe if all the kids had RCX's
and computers at home, but in the typical environment we had, it was not

Well, not to get into "well, when I was a boy" :) but I was in third grade
when I started BASIC programming. I didn't have a computer at home; just
access to the one Apple ][+ in my classroom at school. I'm not bragging or
anything -- while I realize that this isn't _typical_, it's not abnormal
either.

My point isn't that NQC should be forced on all kids. It's that if a kid
wants to and is able to use it, that should be encouraged.

On a related note: it's really unfortunate that the MIT Logo stuff isn't
publicly available. It has the advantage being graphical and about as easy
to learn/use as RCX Code, plus it's a real full-featured programming
language.