 Robotics / 9297
Re: First Lego League Software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 03:00:04 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
news:slrn862e08.vrj.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu...
J G Gregory <jgg@ultranet.com> wrote:
But I don't expect they will open up FLL to non-LEGO software.  And I
wouldn't recommend it anyway, not for 9-14 year olds.

Why not? I was writing BASIC programs when I was in that age bracket, and
I'm sure lots of other people were too. NQC isn't much harder, if at all.

Well, I worked with 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, after school, and with
limited computer resources, and believe me, we barely could get time to deal
with RCX Code except in a hand-holding way.  Maybe if all the kids had RCX's
and computers at home, but in the typical environment we had, it was not
really a good idea.  And I had 10 coaches, all with little more programming
experience than the kids.  The real problem in these projects is the time
and resources available.  All the successful robots came from families that
owned the RCX AND had strong support from parents.  They were able to put in
the hours it takes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the aftermarket stuff and it is really what makes
this whole RCX toy palatable, but it is clearly getting the 20-50 age
bracket, not my ten year olds.

--Jack Gregory