 Robotics / 9102
Re: What to start out with?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:26:53 GMT

In article <002c01bf46ba$eb38e8e0$b5caf7a5@dell>, "Robby Cochran"
<racochran@mindspring.com> wrote:

Hello All!
I am a newbie to the Lego robotics scene  ( I will be receiving a RIS for
Christmas ( very excited )  ) and have been following this newsgroup and
other sites for the past few weeks.  I really do not own very many Lego
pieces at the present (especially technic) and I am concerned that I will be
limited by the amount of parts and motors provided in the RIS.  Should I be?
In most situations is two motors enough?  Should I go ahead and purchase
another Lego set for parts? Or just a motor?  I am in high school and not
exactly a rich man.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

You can do quite a lot with the parts in the box, although eventually
you'll want to expand.

IMHO, the first items to expand would be:

1) An extra motor
2) A rotation sensor

The extra motor means your robots can have more functions.  The rotation
sensor is just incredibly useful.  I downplayed the rotation sensor in my
book (only used it in one project), but only because it wasn't part of the
base set.

After that, you'll probably want some general Technic sets.  You could buy
separate parts packs from Shop at Home, but these are usually fairly
expensive in terms of price per piece.  If your budget is tight, then keep
your eyes open for sales...

Apparently #8480 is on sale at Zany Brainy for $79.  This would be an
*excellent* expansion.  Tons of Technic parts, plus its a really cool
Technic set.

Set #8448 is on sale at TRU for $99.  Another good deal on a large Technic set.

I believe set #8286 is also a good set for parts.  Its on sale now for $44:
http://www.lugnet.com/announce/lsahs/?n=59

However, don't feel pressured to run out and buy any of these right away.
As I said before, there's a lot you can do with just the RIS set.  The
current sales may end, but new ones will appear (this is the second or
third time I've seen a sale on #8480, and #8286 seems to make an
appearance on the S@H specials rather often).

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com