 Robotics / 9048
Re: What to start out with?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:16:49 GMT

Welcome to the world of LEGO & robotics!
Right out of the box, 700 parts is more than enough to build interesting
robots.

I think you should save your money until AFTER you PLAY with your
MindStorms.

In the mean time, give Lego Shop at home a call, and ask for a catalog.
1-800-453-4652 (24hr)
By time the catalog arrives, you'll be ready to drool on: Sensors,
Pneumatics, Gears, Motors, Remote Control, and more!

You may also want to ask for a Pitsco catalog.  Their prices are higher, and
shipping is $6 for orders under $100, but it's the only place to get certain
parts.
1-800-362-4308.

As far as actual sets, I would steer away from the $50 MindStorms
expansions.
IMHO they are not good value for your money.  Not to say they are bad sets,
it's just you can stretch that $50 much further by buying other sets such
as:

$75 #8480 Technic Space shuttle (the next time they're on sale at Zany
Brainy)
$40 #8277 Giant Model Kit
$25 #8299/8250 Pneumatic Search Sub (with / without CD-ROM)

A good rule of thumb is that if per piece cost is more than 10 cents, it's
not a good deal.  Except for motors of course, which I usually consider
worth $10.

There are also two books on MindStorms, I'm still reading, so I cannot make
a recommendation yet.

Hope to hear from you after you open your MindStorms.
=Hari=

Robby Cochran wrote in message <002c01bf46ba$eb38e8e0$b5caf7a5@dell>...
Hello All!
I am a newbie to the Lego robotics scene  ( I will be receiving a RIS for
Christmas ( very excited )  ) and have been following this newsgroup and
other sites for the past few weeks.  I really do not own very many Lego
pieces at the present (especially technic) and I am concerned that I will • be
limited by the amount of parts and motors provided in the RIS.  Should I • be?
In most situations is two motors enough?  Should I go ahead and purchase
another Lego set for parts? Or just a motor?  I am in high school and not
exactly a rich man.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Robby Cochran