 Robotics / 9082
Re: What to start out with?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:56:32 GMT

Well, having read both books now, I have to say this: which book you want
first depends on
what you are looking for.

Jonathan's book (the O'Reilly book) is good if you are looking for a survey
of all the programming
tools available, and a few basic models from which to learn some programming
techniques.  Read it
and you get some perspective of the amazing size and strength of the
Mindstorms hacking community.

Dave's book (from aPress) is good if you plan to stick with the RIS
programming system or to switch
to NQC (Dave's brainchild, and excellent tool for programming a mindstorms
robot if you are already
familiar with text-based, procedural programming (i.e. not for kids who
haven't programmed before
unless they have a lot of help from Mom or Dad)), it spends LESS time on the
variety of programming
environments and more time on:
    Lego (Technic) construction techniques and design "cliche's".
    Programming techniques and tricks using RIS code or NQC
    "Evolving" a robot design from a basic robot to something interesting.

Personally, I think I got more out of Dave's book than I did from Jonathan's
(but I like having both) and
Jonathan's is what convinced me I *had* to have mindstorms this year, it
also led me to read another
of Seymour Papert's books, just out of interest.

Personally, I think the best illustration of the diff between the books
(where they overlap) is in looking at
the techniques used to program a line-follower.  Jonathan's program is very
simple, but falls into the classic
"trap" thinking of trying to make the follower track the center of the line
(on average, since obviously that's
impossible with a single light sensor) while Dave's correctly describes and
implements the less obvious
technique of following an *edge* of the line, so you know which direction to
turn when you fall off the
edge (if you fall off and things get brighter, turn left, if you fall off
and things got darker, turn right).  I'd already
thought of that when I read the book, but my daughter (almost 9) hadn't! :-)

Finally, I think there are at *least* two more books that should be written,
at least peripherally related to
mindstorms:
    1.  The complete guide to Lego Mindstorms sensors, including how to
design your own, how to modify
         the existing ones for various nefarious purposes (i.e. better
dynamic range from the light sensor), and
         how to use the ones you have creatively (i.e. light sensor + fiber
lamp = rotation sensor).
    2.  Mindstorms in Education -- a survey of how Mindstorms can be used to
enhance the K-12 educational
         curriculum (A'la Seymour's "Children's Machine" book, but more
concrete and Mindstorms centric) with
         detailed coverage of RoboLab, etc.

Well, o.k *three* books:
    3.  A complete guide to Lego Construction and Design techniques.  Cover
all the design cliche's, describe
          various standard subassemblies, conversion of rotary energy to
linear, use of the differential, etc. Perhaps
         even cover the vaious Lego CAD tools (LDraw, LeoCAD, MLCAD, etc.)

Just my $0.02

-Peter
Peter A. Vogel
Release Engineering Manager
iReady Corporation
http://www.iready.com http://www.iready.net

Mike Kory <kory@advancenet.net> wrote in message
I like Dave Baum's book better as a first book. Most people in this group
seem to use NQC which is covered in-depth. Also has lots of construction
ideas and the pictures are a little better.
Mike