 Robotics / 9035
Re: Strange "cartoon" gears?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:27:51 GMT

Ralph,

The prices quoted are in Austrian shillings. Check out the 'S' symbol for
the currency and the listed adress in Wien(=Vienna). I don't know the exact
exchange rate at the time, but I'm pretty sure there were several shillings
to the German Mark. So, the prices aren't as high as they seem.

Regards,

Arjen
Utrecht, The Netherlands (another funny country with a funny currency ;-))

"Ralph Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Mark Koesel writes:
These gears were part of the original "Technical Building Sets" line • that
was never made available here in the US.  All the gears have teeth • counts
which are multiples of 3.  The red gears have 9 (3 x 3), the blue have
15 (3 x 5) and the yellow 21 (3 x 7).  The sets contained • translucent-ish
white technic axles, and grey 2x4 blocks with holes throughout.  Red
bushings (similar to today's grey technic bushings) were also included.
Some sets also had special cast-metal cross axle parts which were used • to
mount these gears to the 4.5v motors available at that time.  The first
line of these sets was released in 1970.  The sets were 800, 801 and • 802.
You can see them here:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk70/GK70-16.JPG

I'm pretty sure I have 801, I can remember building a windmill that was
able to shred tissue paper (and fingers if you were not careful).

Check out the prices on the cat sheet. DM270 for the motor kit. Back then
you could get a LOT of Marks for a dollar (about 4 if I remember • correctly)

Even so, those were pretty high prices....

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the DM currency.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

The train stops at the train station,
The bus stops at the bus station,