 Robotics / 9032
Re: Strange "cartoon" gears?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:16:55 GMT

What a wonderful post, Mark.  Thank you so much.

Forwarding to lugnet.faq.  This could serve as the definitive
entry for the question "What are these strange looking (pre-technic?)
gears I've found?"

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Koesel writes:
These gears were part of the original "Technical Building Sets" line that
was never made available here in the US.  All the gears have teeth counts
which are multiples of 3.  The red gears have 9 (3 x 3), the blue have
15 (3 x 5) and the yellow 21 (3 x 7).  The sets contained translucent-ish
white technic axles, and grey 2x4 blocks with holes throughout.  Red
bushings (similar to today's grey technic bushings) were also included.
Some sets also had special cast-metal cross axle parts which were used to
mount these gears to the 4.5v motors available at that time.  The first
line of these sets was released in 1970.  The sets were 800, 801 and 802.
You can see them here:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk70/GK70-16.JPG

In 1972, set 803 was added.  This set included a new rubber tire that fit
the red gear, and also a new universal joint.

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk72/GK72-06.JPG

These sets were discontinued at the end of 1973.  In 1974, a new batch of
sets (810, 811, 812, 813) were introduced.  New links were added which
could be used for either chains or bulldozer treads.  I value these parts
quite highly today.

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk74/GK74-14.JPG

Later, in 1975, set 814 was added.

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk75/GK75-14.JPG

The gears (specifically, the smaller red ones) showed up in other themes
of the era, including the universal set 404 and road construction set 780
mentioned in this thread by Tim Rueger.  In addition, they were used in
the pre-model team "Model" sets, with the tires, as wheels for the Formula
1 car and the motorcycles.

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk76/GK76-12.JPG
http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk76/GK76-13.JPG

In 1976, these sets were discontinued, to make way for the new "Technical
Sets" which later picked up the name Technic and, for a time, used the name
Expert Builder in the US.

Note that, in the US (and Canada), Samsonite had it's own line of gears.
These are the mentioned in the post in this thread by Jim West (Jim, I
hope you don't mind me reposting the URL)

http://www.frii.com/~jwest//lego/gearstop.jpg

These gears have teeth counts which are multiples of 7.  I don't have any
of these type.  The samsonite gears sets did not include or work with any of
the Technic-like parts that came with the 8xx gear sets.  Instead, they
mount
to the old metal-pinned wheels of the 70's.  For this reason, their use is
somewhat limited in today's Technic creations.  The 8xx gears, however, work
great with modern day Technic, especially if you need some heavy duty tank
treads.

Also note that the large gears sold through Dacta today are quite different
from any of the ones mentioned above.  These Dacta gears would be most
compatible with the Duplo line, and in particular Duplo Toolo.  These gears
mount to special larger "Duplo-size" Cross axles and components.

This whole topic seems to come up now and again and these parts always seem
generate lots of confusion and discussion.  Hopefully this clears up any and
all confusion for this time around :)

Mark Koesel

"Dave Johnson" <djohnson@sirius.com> wrote in message
I was perusing the web and found "Tim's Lego Pages" that showed his
"Kitty Tormentor" robots: they shoot rubber bands. Very cool!

The rubber bands are mounted on a kind of "cartoony" gear with widely
spaced teeth, bright red. I thought at first it was a custom piece, but
then I saw them again at Marcus's excellent Lego site
(http://www.fischer-mellbin.com/Marcus/Lego/lego.html) in his "Gear Math"
section.

What are these gear pieces? What sets include them? Duplo, maybe?

Thanks,

Dave Johnson