 Robotics / 896
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:06:19 GMT

Kekoa Proudfoot <kekoa@pixel.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
Eric Hodges <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
It's the law.  Software isn't defined by the media it's stored in or the
way it is stored.  It doesn't make any legal difference if you distribute
the software on a CD or printed on the back of a T-shirt.  The copyright
laws consider software to be any "set of statements or instructions to be
used directly or indirectly in a computer in order to bring about a certain
result."( 17 U.S.C ? 101)  Software distributed on ROM, EPROM, EEPROM, etc.
is still covered by the copyright laws.

The issue at stake is not the copyright.  It's the license agreement.

And I should add, as Brian pointed out, that the question is not whether
firmware is software, it's whether firmware is Software.  As I said when I
started all of this, read your license agreement again, and tell me whether
or not it's obvious that firmware is Software given what's written there.

And I should add that, I pointed this out as something in addition to what
others had pointed out were other reasons why reverse engineerng the RCX
was not going to be a big deal.

-Kekoa