 Robotics / 8825
Re: HELP! Ultra-Newbie Question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 07:52:39 GMT

Arjen,

Thanks for the info! I will go out and buy the RIS Kit ASAP.
I was surfing around and have seen numerous homebrew
sensors - I really hardly wait to get started!

Thanks,
Alexp

Arjen Gerstel <a.gerstel@inter.nl.net> wrote in message

"Alex P" <alexp@halogenstudios.com> wrote in message
Greetings all,

Welcome, Alex.

I am new to the world of Robotics.  Infact, I haven't even bought a Kit • yet.
I'm posting this to this newsgroup, in hopes that someone can help me • out.

Is the Robotics Invention Kit the best place to start?
Most people start off with the Mindstorms RIS. I suppose that's what you
mean. It's the only kit that includes the RCX, currently the most • versatile
Lego robot-controlling computer. So, yes, the RIS is the best place to
start. Try to get the 1.0 version if you can. It has a power socket for an
adapter, the 1.5 hasn't.  The 1.0 includes an (almost) free upgrade to • 1.5.
If you run out of parts, just buy some additional Technic sets. I • recommend
the Space Shuttle, if it's still available where you live.

What abuot the CyberMaster?
Has an integrated computer/motor/battery pack unit. Especially suitable • for
building vehicles. Radio controlled (RCX is IR-controlled). Doesn't do • much
the RCX can't do too.

What is the best language to use?
That's a matter of taste and personal experience. If you have some
programming experience I suggest you skip the Lego-supplied programming
environment. Many people seem to like NQC (I do). It has a C-like syntax.
If you want ultimate control over every bit of hardware in your RCX, take • a
look at LegOS. Actually, this is not a language, you need an additional
compiler. These are available for free though. But expect quite a bit of
hassle to get it all up and running.
There's also PBforth, Visual Basic/C++ and quite a few more.

How powerful is the REX computer -- i.e. Speed and RAM wise?
I'm not sure, I think it has 32 kilobytes of RAM. But, for control of • small
robots you hardly need a lot of raw computing power. And I never ran out • of
memory space (yet....).

any insights would be much appreciated - I've looked online and have • read
descriptions, but those are advertisements pretty much.

OK, go for it. I've been tinkering with it for about 6 months now. Great
fun!

Thanks all in advance!!
alexp

Enjoy,