 Robotics / 8824
8823  |  8825
Subject:
Human Mood Dection (Through Voice)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 07:52:07 GMT

Greetings All,

(I'm new to the Mindstorms, so bare with me if this has been done already).

Does anyone think this is feasible?  (This could be implemented as a
sensor).  Basically a voice "reader" that could be used to determine
a persons mood, or even for voice recognition.

The first step is not to difficult.  A 20$ Digital Voice recorder can easily
be acquired from Radio Shack.

The second step, would be the tough part.  As far as on a computer end,
one could do this.  There's many lie-detection software programs out there
(whether they work or not is a different issue, but they do tell quite well
if there is Tension in the voice - which is all that we would need). Plus
there
is voice detection software I've used that I never needs to be trained.
But,
once again, we don't need complete recognition.

I think this could be implemented in a separate unit, which would then
output RAW data (to not kill the Lego CPU's processing power).  This
shouldn't be to hard - a mood detection algorithm wouldn't be terribly
difficult.  Just off the top of my head, I guess the algorithm could search
for
- sudden changes in pitch
- jittery speech
- pauses
But, I'm sure Lie detection and Mood is well documented and could be easily
researched.

If anyone knows of a project like this already in the making, please let me
know.
Otherwise, I would definitely be interested giving a whirl at something like
this.
The only question is the feasibility of it ....

Alex p