 Robotics / 8575
Re: Scout vs RIS and reverse engineering and Byte Codes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 23:51:11 GMT

The pollm command lets you look at memory from 0x40 to 0x440 (1 K).
The unused memory does not look like code. It looks like the system
attributes are available there--probably battery level and such. Also
variables must be there. We have 10 globals + 8 locals per 6 tasks that we
get to use. That's 58 variables x 2 bytes per variable=116 bytes. So thats
400 for code +116 for variable =516 bytes. Half way there.
The rom routines must use a lot of variable storage too. We also have timers
and counters.
There is also about 160 bytes of zeroes in the memory dump.
So that accounts for a lot of the RAM.

I can't test it right now, but I haven't seen anything downloaded to the
brick other than user programs. I don't think there is code or firmware in
the ram. It must all be in the ROM.

Mike

<webmake@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Mike Kory wrote:

Does the Scout have firmware? I'm not aware of any being downloaded to > • the brick.

The Scout must have control programming somewhere. What interests me is
that out of 1K of RAM only about 400 bytes is available to hold a user
program. Could the control program be held (preloaded) in the remaining
624 bytes of RAM?

Robert Eddings