 Robotics / 8574
FW: Lead warning for people who solder - no Lego content left
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 23:40:58 GMT

Actually the comparison isn't flawed, just misunderstood ;-) The
point was that smoking or eating (with lead on your hands) will increase the
amount of lead that is absorbed into your body, no matter how the lead got
onto your hands.

If you don't have elevated lead levels after working with solder for
so long then I believe you are very lucky, or very careful. I'm not saying
your lead levels are necessarily above "government standards", but they are
measurable. The workplace hazard guy I talked to said casual use of solder
shouldn't be a concern, but he recommended using solder dispensers (like
solder pens), and washing before eating. (Mom was right!). He mentioned that
they routinely do blood tests on people who solder professionally all day
long (on assembly lines), and they do have elevated lead levels. While his
company had many recommendations for reducing lead intake, he said washing
was the single best thing people could do. (I should mention that his
company did not sell products, only advice).

Unfortunately children like to put things in their mouths, so my
only real point was to be careful with Lego projects that can "potentially"
be hazardous to them.

Let's move this discussion off this forum. I'm sure most Lego people
have no interest in our banter back & forth. Hopefully, if nothing else,
we've scared a few people into being more careful.

Have you heard about the evils of tantalum? :-)

You can email me directly (mark@audesi.com).

Oh ya, "Faenstock Clips". We always called them "those big ugly
clips" ;-)

Mark Geddes

[ Welding is the translation of metal into liquid and gas, not the same
  thing as soldering at all. The comparison is flawed. I've been in the
  electronics building industry as a hobby and profession since 1969 and
  I've never heard of a study finding elevated lead content in solders.
  Which doesn't mean you should put it in your mouth or not wash your
hands
  before eating and such. I wash my hands about 4-5 times a day when
  building electronics. Besides the solder the electrolyte in caps is very
  bad for you. ]

We used to work with tubes in our ancient electronics class ;-). A
lot of the prototyping fixtures were massive corroded old clips, that
couldn't be soldered to without using acid core flux. Today it's mainly
used
in plumbing.

[ They're called "Faenstock Clips". ]