 Robotics / 8499
Re: Radio shack basic electronics book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:42:33 GMT

You can find them at : http://www.digikey.com/ or phone 1-800-344-4539, or
218-681-6674, (fax 218-681-3380). I would doubt the 1-800 number will work
outside of North America.

Thanks for the link. They are definitely willing to ship anywhere in the
world. I couldn't find a precise quote on the shipping charges though,
only a mention of a $6 additional handling charge for international
orders. Now if they would carry the book...

A lot of American companies are reluctant to ship outside a group of
"approved" countries. I think it's just too hard to deal with all the
government approvals & paperwork. I can't see why France won't be "approved"
though.

Are you sure there's much paperwork to do ? It's funny to see that most
smallish companies will ship internationally whereas big fishes like
Radio Shack don't give a damn about foreign customers.

I'd like to clear up the misconception that you'll get much help with
technical information at Radio Shack. They are now mostly electronic toy,
battery, phone, computer, etc. type stores. They used to have a very
impressive stock of electronic parts, but now days they mainly stock the
most popular stuff. I guess it's better then nothing, if you have one near
by, but I rarely buy parts from them - just toys :-). They just can't
compete with Digi-key if you need to buy a few items. The salesman are
basically just salesman & they don't necessarily have any electronics
knowledge at all.

Yeah, that's what I had heard - though experiences seem to vary from
store to store. Obviously they can't afford to staff 9600 stores with
highly competent technicians.
I don't miss Radio Shack - I know a few small parts stores and I have
the catalogs for several French mail-order firms, that's OK for me.
Still, it would be nice to have better access to electronics stuff
for beginners who don't know where to go at all.

Cheers,
--Jonathan