 Robotics / 8500
Re: Radio shack basic electronics book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:55:25 GMT

--- Jonathan Perret <jperret@cybercable.fr> wrote:
You can find them at : http://www.digikey.com/ or • phone 1-800-344-4539, or
218-681-6674, (fax 218-681-3380). I would doubt the • 1-800 number will work
outside of North America.

Thanks for the link. They are definitely willing to
ship anywhere in the
world. I couldn't find a precise quote on the
shipping charges though,
only a mention of a $6 additional handling charge
for international
orders. Now if they would carry the book...

A lot of American companies are reluctant to ship • outside a group of
"approved" countries. I think it's just too hard to • deal with all the
government approvals & paperwork. I can't see why • France won't be "approved"
though.

Are you sure there's much paperwork to do ? It's
funny to see that most
smallish companies will ship internationally whereas
big fishes like
Radio Shack don't give a damn about foreign
customers.

France is a little odd anyway -- things like the ban
on cryptotech and that sort of thing -- and if my
reading of history is correct they've always been sort
of on the fringe of organizations like NATO.

But all that aside, it's probably laziness on Tandy's
part. I don't know. Someone mentioned that you can't
throw a rock without hitting a RadioShack (note
Tandy's SuPeR k-K00L!!!1!!! "updating" of the
spelling). That's almost true, and RadioShack is
probably the first place anyone would go for parts in
this country, but it's still nothing approaching a
superstore. (They've been around for damn near
forever; you'd think they'd have gotten into the
international thing by now...)

As an aside, you Brits might be interested to know
that our Tandy TRaSh-80 Color Computer was your Dragon
32...

I'd like to clear up the misconception that you'll • get much help with
technical information at Radio Shack. They are now • mostly electronic toy,
battery, phone, computer, etc. type stores. They • used to have a very
impressive stock of electronic parts, but now days • they mainly stock the
most popular stuff. I guess it's better then • nothing, if you have one near
by, but I rarely buy parts from them - just toys
:-). They just can't

And even the toys aren't what they used to be. They
have this line, Science Fair, which is basically
electronic trainer sets for kids. I've had a few. They
do the job, but the variety they have now isn't much.
ObRCX: They used to have a kit called the Sensor
Robot. Had a light (CdS) sensor and a magnetic (reed
switch) sensor anyway, and I think it had a mike as
well. I've been following all this traffic and
thinking of that kit -- now you want something with
science fair potential, that's it. They even had a
microcomputer trainer thingy that I think was sort of
a kiddie version of an Altair-type kit computer, but I
never saw it up close so I can't say anything about
it.

Today... a couple of radio kits and two electronics
labs, but nothing particularly esoteric or
interesting.

/Brian

=====