 Robotics / 8501
Re: lack of interest in basic stamp and basicx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:58:26 GMT

One of my favorite features of Lego MindStorms is its inherent
accessibility. Although I've read about, and I'm sure I would enjoy the
BASIC stamp, the fact is that MindStorms is cheaper and easier-to-build. My
4-year-old and I have a great time working on MindStorms projects. I'm not
sure the same would be true of the more advanced platforms.

Agreed. I love Mindstorms because I don't have to mess with electronics ;)

Don't get me wrong about the hardcore programming, though. While I think
you need to go past the limitations to the best results, I'm totally amazed
at what Lego has achieved with their RIS. Teaching programming to kids is
a hobby of mine, and I can tell you I would never have imagined beginning
with multithreaded, event-driven programs (as even simple RCX programs
are) ! Yet they have managed to fit that in an interface that makes it
very natural for beginners to manipulate concepts that I have seen
seasoned programmers have trouble groking.
This is just one of the reasons why I admire Lego products.

Just wait until they get into quantum physics, we'll suddenly have
millions of little Einsteins ;-)

Cheers,
--Jonathan