 Robotics / 8450
Re: I need a Propeller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 02:55:10 GMT

Well, if model airplane props were for moving air, then every house fan
would have one.

Prop design is based on efficiency, not quantity of air moved.  And the RPM
environment, power available, fluid type, etc...

None of the LEGO props are very good at actually being propellers.

--Jack Gregory

dave madden <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
=>From: "Stefan Elsner" <spamtrap02@lowpoly.com>
=>....
=>for a MindStorms project I need a (working) propeller. I plan to drive • it
=>with two of the old-style 9V motors. It should move as much air as • possible.
=>I estimate that the diameter should be somewhere between three and four
=>inches. I wonder what the best way to go is: [...]

If you're not a LEGO(r) purist, then I'd suggest a model airplane
prop.  You can get many different diameters and pitches, and they're
specifically designed to move as much air as possible.  (Or more
likely designed for that purpose than LEGO(r) propellers! :-)  I'd
guess that you could easily drill out the hole and epoxy in a
half-bushing for a clean solution.

d.