 Robotics / 8269
    Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots —Soh Chio Siong
   (...) Thanks, I'll have to get myself a copy. Judging from the lively discussions in an accompanying thread on line followers, it seems that following a single black line is far from being a trivial matter. It seems to me more natural to be keeping (...) (25 years ago, 17-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots —Paul Speed
     (...) You are right that with one stationary light sensor, line following is not a trivial matter. Change the constraint and it starts to become a little more trivial... we're just splitting the problem by focusing on both the mechanical and (...) (25 years ago, 17-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots —Soh Chio Siong
      Paul Speed wrote: <snip> <snip> (...) Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not sure if it's been done before, but I'm now making a playing field where the bot will have to keep within two black lines using 2 RCX light sensors to see how it compares to (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots —Vlad Dumitrescu
     (...) I am really agreeing with you, but since yesterday I begun thinking a little in other pathways... The specifications for a general line following robot have to include also a specification for the kind of line/pathway the robot can follow. So (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots —Graham Stalker-Wilde
   (...) a single line in (...) sensors? (...) A single black line (of any width) on a white background *is* two white lines on black background. The real question is: what is the optimal width for the line? (given the number of sensors available) -g (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots —Paul Speed
     (...) Heh, good point. (...) Incidentally, in my robot I have solved my moving light sensor problem. Now I'm left to the tedium of properly linking all four corners of my synchro platform now that I can't just freely run things through the center. (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Line Following by Humans versus Bots —Soh Chio Siong
   (...) Hey, that is very deep insight! Worthy of the Tao Te Ching. (...) The typical width given in the competitions is 1 inch (conveniently the width of electrical tape). Is this the minimum? I'm experimenting with a wider line. I believe the width (...) (25 years ago, 19-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)