 Robotics / 8207
8206  |  8208
Subject:
Functional languages and/or RCX wrapper code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:36:20 GMT

On the subject of functional programming on the RCX --
it sort of depends on how you define functional. If
you want an API binding from a functional language,
that's one thing; I think that's what Haskell/Lego is
all about if I read the page correctly. Running a
functional language on the RCX is an entirely
different matter. Functional languages are, by
definition, stack hogs, and I think the best place to
start would be to try to implement a Scheme dialect
(maybe SIOD; it's very small, and could maybe be made
smaller) as a LegOS program to see if that can be
done. After that, maybe move into a more heavily
functional language (for sheer perversity, try
Unlambda; you can find it at

http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/

It's unspeakably nasty, but someone might find it
cool...)

Someone (Vlad Dumitrescu(sp?), I believe) mentioned
the possibility of writing a wrapper for the RCX
serial protocol. Well, I've been taking a look at
Kekoa's send.c, and as long as Kekoa's cool with it
I'm trying to slice and dice it into an API called
Seance (basically factoring out his comm functions
from the rest of the program), this with an eye
towards possibly reimplementing spirit.ocx as a
platform-independent C library called Spectre. It's in
the early stages, though, so don't expect usable any
time soon. (However, if there's interest (==
contributed routines), I'll be glad to give more
details.)

/Brian

=====