 Robotics / 8212
Re: Functional languages and/or RCX wrapper code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:57:11 GMT

In article <19991115183620.23320.rocketmail@web905.mail.yahoo.com>, Brian
Connors <connorbd@yahoo.com> wrote:

Someone (Vlad Dumitrescu(sp?), I believe) mentioned
the possibility of writing a wrapper for the RCX
serial protocol. Well, I've been taking a look at
Kekoa's send.c, and as long as Kekoa's cool with it
I'm trying to slice and dice it into an API called
Seance (basically factoring out his comm functions
from the rest of the program), this with an eye
towards possibly reimplementing spirit.ocx as a
platform-independent C library called Spectre. It's in
the early stages, though, so don't expect usable any
time soon. (However, if there's interest (==
contributed routines), I'll be glad to give more
details.)

You may want to take a look at some or all of the rcxlib portion of the
NQC source (http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/nqc).  It already includes a
portable comm implementation across Win/Mac/Unix.  I think its also a bit
more robust in terms of communication protocol than the send.c code.  For
example, rcxlib includes adaptive timeouts.

On the other hand, rcxlib involves about a half dozen C++ classes.  If
you're looking for something simple and/or non-C++, then send.c is the
ticket.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com