 Robotics / 8017
Re: Better sets for adults
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:35:57 GMT

Jacob Schultz writes:
> I think a major problem is that it is a lot more expensive to sell
> pieces as single parts.

I don't think anybody is asking for that.  I would be willing to wager
a large amount of money that the people who are asking for bulk parts
*really* want bulk parts.  As in "by the pound".  And it's not like
Lego has to make any less money on them.  They could test the idea by
selling red 2x4 bricks.  They could set the price at the maximum
margin of any kit that uses them, so that if they run short of red 2x4
bricks because they sold them in bulk, they will have already made as
much money as they otherwise would.

It wouldn't cost much to set up such a program.  They could package
the bricks in plastic bag.  Sell 'em through S@H.  Say "limited
availability", so if they have to cut the program off, they can.  If
the price was too high, nobody would buy 'em.  But Lego wouldn't lose
much by trying.  Heck, *we* would do the advertising for them.

--
-russ nelson <sig@russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Government schools are so