 Robotics / 8032
Re: Better sets for adults
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:48:11 GMT

I don't think anybody is asking for that.  I would be willing to wager
a large amount of money that the people who are asking for bulk parts
*really* want bulk parts.  As in "by the pound".

One of the old regular-posters on rec.toys.lego found a factory that would
produce similar-to-LEGO bricks (but not similar enough to infringe on
patents) in massive quantities.  We were planning on making a number of bulk
purchases, but then I moved to Hungary and fell off the Internet for a year.
I never heard if the deal ever happened.

The point is, that I *vehemently* dislike sets and especially the
proliferance of unique non-modular parts (for instance, snakes, spears,
etc).

I build with LEGO to build what is in *my* head...So I want to buy LEGO's in
the thousands...if not tens of thousands.  I then want to buy a
comprehensive packages of wheels, or a package of gears, or windows, etc.

It seems that bulk ordering like this is not a tall order to fill.  After
all, www.constructiontoys.com already does something similar, although in
smaller quantities.  (See the "LEGO BASIC 5+ Sets" and the "LEGO SYSTEM
Supplementary Sets" to see the kind of thing I am talking about.)

Even if the bulk deals were only available directly from the factory, it
seems that it would be of minimal cost to TLG and a great benefit to the
LEGO fans like me who want to build spectacular things.  LEGO could even use
these big constructions as promotional items.  (My pet project was to create
a block of San Francisco Victorian-style houses that would cover one wall of
my flat and function as a bookshelf/storage area.)

ON A POSITIVE NOTE, TLG's recent public acknowledgement of it's adult
customers is very heartening.  MindStorms (which I haven't yet been able to
locate here in Hungary) are a brilliant stroke, and I have told all my
US-based friends that no other presents will be accepted at Christmas!  :-)
Opening the guts of the Scout on the LEGO website is another exciting
opportunity.

I just hope that this new "openness" from TLG expands to their traditional
products as well.

<Rant Off>

- Christian
Christian Jacobsen
Net-Collect.com
Budapest, Hungary

"Without crackpots, freedom of expression is just no fun."
  - Roahn Wynar