 Robotics / 8001
Re: Better sets for adults
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 17:10:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Pink Tail) writes:
I've noted some recent comments about "adult" requirements for lego sets.

On the assumtion that most adult lego builders are an imaginative lot, why
do
you need "sets"?

My only complaint is that there are many pieces in some of the technic sets
which are undocumented elsewhere. For example, there is a nice captive worm
piece pair in the throwbots mini sets. It is two halves which form a casing
for
the worm gear. It just so happens, that it also has a half gear attached.
Two
of these sets provide a very good and accurate worm controlled joint.

If anyhting, TLG should make the entire parts inventory available for
purchase,
like meccano used to!

As it is, as an adult with more spending power than most "junior" lego
maniacs,
I can afford to buy half a dozen throwbots to get the parts I need and dump
the
cosmetic pieces. To help in this process :-

What we could do with is a comprehensive illustrated inventory of all the
lego
sets on the lugnet.

Comments?

JB

Well, there are about 2,000 elements that people can't agree on a name for.
And there are about 3,000 sets, each with a different mix of elements and
average about 120 pieces each.  I am working on a program that will allow
people to work simulataneously in the effort and also still use all the
information entered while still in progress.  It is a ways off, though.

Mike Poindexter