 Robotics / 7944
RE: 8450 Mission / Cybermaster expansion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 16:07:12 GMT

Yes, but so is the ROM in the RCX. The trick was to figure out the upload
sequence (via the serial link) and then Kekoa figured out the format
of the packet.

I'll have to look at the Cybermaster serial code in NQC, but if there
is an ability to place arbitrary bytes in memory, and run code from
an arbitrary address (or fixed somewhere in the limited RAM) then it
is possible to make an umbilical FORTH that does NOT use the standard
opcodes...

No, the OPCODES are interpreted by the firmware, not the ROM code.

OK, i guess we need to get terminology straight. The ROM is the masked code
in the RCX/Scout/Cybermaster. It was "looked at" because I'm pretty sure
Kekoa wrote a little dump routine and loaded it into the RCX like
replacement firmware - in other words, he used the protocol that
loads the firmware into the RAM to load a dumper so that the ROM
could be reverse disassembled.

The firmware on the CD is loaded into the RCX using the same protocol, but
since it was in a nice Srecord format, disassembling it probably wasn't
too hard. Commenting it - that's a different story altogether.

Now, given that the opcodes are similar between the Cybermaster and the
RCX, I wonder if a little "dumper" could be loaded into the Cybermaster...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com