 Robotics / 7932
RE: 8450 Mission / Cybermaster expansion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:15:34 GMT

The CyberMaster was never intended to be programmed by the user like Mindstorms.

It's *very* unfortunate to see LEGO invest so much effort and money in a radio-controlled LEGO computer with so much to
offer and don't take *any* steps to make profit on it.
I *bet* 95% of all CyberMasters sold are in a dusty corner of the attic of even in the trashcan after a month of use.

If the CPU in the Cybermaster is the same as the RCX (minus the extra RAM) or the Scout,
and the radio link is alive all the time (not like the narcoleptic tower), I'll bet
that I could hack an "umbilical" Forth system, where the bulk of the overhead is
in the PC (or Mac) for maintaining the dictionary, and a bare minimum of code is
left in the RAM.

Given that the Cybermaster has built in tachos and motors, some pretty sophisticated
data gathering bots could be built.

Before you throw a Cybermaster set out or put it away in a corner,
consider donating it to a worthy cause (me) and if I can't do any better
than the standard LEGO software, I'll send it back.

Questions...

1. Is there a disassembly of the Cybermaster ROM?
2. Since NQC supports Cybermaster opcodes, there must be some compatibility?
3. Is there some firmware that gets uploaded to the Cybermaster? There
   must be SOME arbitrary byte code loading that goes on...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com