 Robotics / 7907
Re: Lego Protocol Patent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:14:20 GMT

Chris Phillips wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Dave Baum writes:

In theory, patents are only allowed for inventions that are "novel and
unique".  This means that if someone trained in a given field, with access
to all published literature and knowledge, when faced with the same
problem could reasonably be expected to come up with the same solution,
then the invention is not novel enough to be patenable.

In practice, the US Patent Office is backlogged and appears to be in the
mode of just taking the filing fee and approving the patent after a
somewhat narrow and cursory prior art search.  Granted its tough to be
comprehensive in these things, but some of the allowed patents are
pathetic.

However, getting a patent and being able to enforce it are entirely
different matters.  The reduced amount of screening up front has simply
moved the "prior art" problem to the courts where it gets sorted out amid
huge legal fees.

I only read through the first few claims, but they all seemed to be overly
broad, and easily refuted by prior art.  A narrow enough claim may not
directly conflict with other work, but then it may still be similar enough
to be ruled out as "obvious".

I agree.  But I'm pretty sure that a patent only prevents someone else from
doing everything mentioned in _all_ of the claims put together.

Not true.  Each claim acts as its own mini-patent.

For an accessible article and discussion, check out:
http://slashdot.org/features/99/10/19/1032254.shtml

For the comments section make sure to set it sort high
moderation scores to the top... otherwise it will take years to
weed through.
-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)