 Robotics / 7874
RE: Lego Protocol Patent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:30:37 GMT

I periodicaly search patents assigned to Interlego just to see what kind of
stuff LEGO might be up to.  I noticed this one granted in September on a
communications protocol.  I don't get into this level of programming detail
and it might not even apply to mindstorms, but I thought I'd share the
number with the rest of you.
http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?pn=US05952932__
BTW It is very unusual to have 55 claims in one patent.

Good grief! Maybe I should get involved in patent law (or at least spec'ing
for patent lawyers).

Honestly, the basic protocol that is described has been implemented LOTS of
times in small proprietary projects. In fact, the fire alarm system I'm
currently implementing uses a multi-drop half-duplex master/slave
system for sending information from one master panel to the slaves.

It includes a message synchronization scheme, a major/minor protocol
byte, integrated sequence/retry counter byte, and length and checksum byte.
Read Tannenbaum's "Computer Networks" and you'll find it's not a very
original idea.

There really isn't anything special about these little protocols, I guess
it's who gets it on paper first. The intent (I hope) is not to discourage
others from using similar protocols in DISSIMILAR products, but to keep
opportunistic scavengers from creating products SIMILAR to the RCX.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com