 Robotics / 7594
7593  |  7595
Subject:
Scout brick and IR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:57:47 GMT

I have been doing experiments with the Scout brick from the LEGO
Robotics Discovery set and have come across a few things that have me
scratching my head. Please excuse the length of this post.

The Scout can understand two types of messages via it's IR port. The
first type is a numerical message sent to it by the RCX (or the IR tower
sending a RCX message). Different messages, 1-12, make the Scout perform
preset actions. 13 & 14 turn the red light on in front of the brick and
15 stops the current running program for a sec. None of the remaining
240 messages seem to have any affect.

The second type of message it understands are those sent by the 9738
LEGO Mindstorms Remote Control. It does NOT respond to "test panel"
messages sent through the IR tower.

I do understand that the LEGO Remote sends a unique subset of IR codes
that is part of the RCX and Scout firmware that have nothing to do with
"test panel" messages.

The interesting part is that when I do a diagnostics test on the Scout
in RCXCC, it states that it is "alive" and has a version number of
10.00/00.34. My RCX returns a version number of 03.01/03.09.

All this leads up to this question: With LEGO releasing a programing
interface for the Scout next year, why do you think they would ditch so
much of the RCX firmware and then create something different that could
sill be programmed? Isn't that just reinventing the wheel?

Please give any ideas or comments you may have.

Robert Eddings