 Robotics / 7476
RE: AI and even more exiciting stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:42:44 GMT

Depends exactly what you're teaching in the class, and how much time you
have. Spending a session teaching fixed point math may well mean that you
have to miss out a useful AI tool. If the students already understand how
to call, say "add(a,b)" then I don't see the relevance *in an AI course*
of teaching them the difference between doing "add()" in floating and
fixed point math.

Probably in a wider computing context they _ought_ to learn about fixed
point math one day, but I would suppose it belongs in a more general
course.

Right you are. I guess I wasn't clear headed when I wrote my original
response. I wanted to say that engineering (or CS) students shuold learn
about fixed point methods at some point in their academic careers. The
earlier the better.

I was bored stiff during these lectures, but some nuggets of knowledge
remained with me, and I'm thankful I didn't give up on it because
it seemed irrelevant.

I've just finished interviewing applicants for a company and many of them
had no idea fixed point existed! I made it clear to them if they wanted
to do embedded systems design for money, they should learn some of the
basics.

I suspect that many of them were just doing "scattergun" mailings of their
resume and that the HR folks doing the initial screen weren't really aware
of what they were looking for either :-)

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com