 Robotics / 7469
RE: AI and even more exiciting stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:15:24 GMT

Tony wrote:

I am using NQC at the moment. I have just found, and I am downloading as I
type, legOS. What is Forth? I have seen numerous people talk about it on
this mail list - is it an assembly code compiler?

Yes, and no. It is an interpreter, that you can type (or upload) ASCII text
to. It then compiles it into an efficient bytecode (really 16 bits) that
lets you execute later. It allows for LOTS of variables and best of all,
you don't need to be a GNU compiler expert to run it. That's not
entirely a big issue anymore with prebuilt versions of
the H8300 tools available...

Drawbacks: you need to learn FORTHm, but there are decent tutorial links
on my site, and I've just received permission to adapt an exisiting FORTH
tutorial to pbFORTH.

Also, has anybody written, or heard of some generic client/server type
libraries to work between the PC and the RCX, so that (and I know
it defeats
the purpose of this stuff) the PC can run the software, and just tell the
RCX basic commands, like left or right or forward, relay sensor reports
back, and make the PC decide what to do. Can we overcome
processor/memory/permanent storage problems like this?

If you had more processing space (or the ability to use it) on the
RCX, then the PC link is not needed very often.

Sorry to annoy you all with my wide-eyed ideas - but I'm what you
might like
to call a newbie to Robotic Lego.

Annoying? no. This is the right place to come for answers if you
need help...good luck and have fun exploring LUGNET.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com