 Robotics / 7297
  Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!

Forgive my ignorance with respect to robotics and the like but what would you do with a laser? Is it used for guiding the robot or can the RCX detect when the beam is broken? I don't assume it is used to zap dirty dishes from the dinner table. <g> (...) (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!

Yeah. In can't think of anything that a laser could be used for. Unless you had reflective walls and could use it as a range finder. Sort of like an ultrasonic range finder, only with light. I wonder if the timing could be done fast enough. Andy (...) (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

Andy Gombos <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:37FE04DD.CA5505...nfi.net... (...) Maybe you could use it to blind people or pets. (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!

i assume that i will be able to make a small lego robot that hunts for annoying dogs in the neiborhood and vaproizes them. i demand no less. b ---...--- (...) (25 years ago, 8-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!

I've found that shooting a laser pointer at a bicycle reflector gives a good enough return (to a light sensor right next to the laser source) to be detected. You can use this for navigation, as the RCX can turn around and find strategically mounted (...) (25 years ago, 14-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!

How far away can the RCX be before the return cannnot be detected? Andy (...) (25 years ago, 14-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  6.270 course at MIT

Hi. Does anyone know the contents of the kit that the project teams use for the 6.270 robots course taught at MIT? Also, supposeably, Tufts University has developed university level course matterials, but these matterials were not immediately (...) (25 years ago, 14-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 6.270 course at MIT

Barbara Nostrand writes: > For that matter, what is the current state of putting Linux up on > the RCX? I recall seeing about half a year ago that someone was > trying to put Linux on the RCX. It was a joke. With only 64Kbytes, I don't think even (...) (25 years ago, 14-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: 6.270 course at MIT

(...) I don't believe it is a kit, in the sense that you can buy it- IIRC, it was custom built by a company in the Boston area. Ah- here is the link- (URL) to this new solution (which is powerful enough to run NetBSD) they used the handyboards, (...) (25 years ago, 14-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: !!! Laser attachments for Mindstorms !!!

(...) I don't know. I am working indoors, and detection is not a problem across my living room, about 5 meters. Now that you ask, I'll probably try it outside and find the answer. That's an advantage of using a laser - the beam disperses very (...) (25 years ago, 15-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)