 Robotics / 7239
RE: Could somebody use this program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:24:50 GMT

Hy I'm the author of MLCad and I'm dreaming a bit now.

<snipped description of new environment for RCX/Cybermaster>

I would not start with this program, if you think its waisted time ... or
please report ... if you saw a program like that somewhere else. Don't mix
it up with other firmware projects for the RCX since this doesn't
work with
the CyberMaster!!!!

Michael,

I just downloaded mlCAD and find it an excellent bit of software. The
rendering
of each step is a bit slow unless you turn on wireframes, but that's not so
bad.

My 7 year old was able to figure it out if I placed a few simple parts in
the
favorites folder. He can change colours, move parts around, etc easily.

I plan to use the program to teach a group of grade 4-6 kids in the spring
when I volunteer for my boy's school enrichment program on 4 afternoons
in February. It gets awfully cold up here and the kids need a bit
of fun once a week, wether they want it or not ;-)

My advice (and it's free so it's worth every penny) is to focus
your considerable skills in polishing and speeding up MLCad. I doubt
if TLG would distribute it (you might ask nicely though) but you might
be able to get a book published about it....anyone else in the
group with writing or publishing experience might want to have
a look at this program too.

The other thing you might want to do is try to port it to Mac and Linux
desktops, in that order. This has BIG potential in the educational market.
I know some folks that have experience with porting issues to the Mac,
and I have LOTS of experience in writing software for different
embedded platforms. Get the software and book into schools, and you are
golden...

If you like, we can correspond further in the offline mode.

I meant to write you a congratulatory note on MLCad anyways, and this
gives me the opportunity to do it!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

The train stops at the train station,