 Robotics / 7162
7161  |  7163
Subject:
Position Finding/Mapping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 20:46:09 GMT

If you take a syncro drive robot that can move perfecly in 4
directions(Fwd,Rev,Left,Right) and attach rotation sensors to each axle
that the wheels are on, then you can measure the distance traveled by
ecah wheel. With a litttle knowledge of how many rotations it takes to
go a foot, then you could compute the distance. The robot would then
know that it was  ______ feet away in x direction, and ____ in y
direction. This could be used to map a room for obstacles to be plotted
on a PC, by using a touch sensor ring around the robot. Then you would
just datalog the current position in x,y. You could also navigate a room
by telling the robot where the objects are, and how big the are. Then
the robot could just avoid that sector of floor space. This would
probably need LgOs or whatever because you would probably get floating
point numbers for feet.

Andy