 Robotics / 7636
Re: Position Finding/Mapping Description
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 13:46:47 GMT

Okay. The base is a lot like the last picture on  the Synchro Drive page.
STEERING
Then there are the beams that hold the axles that hold the 8t gears  that link the
turntables together.
One axle is just one of those half friction pin/half axle thingys. The other axle is
longer, about 10 units. This axle is connected to a motor and worm gear combo. The worm
gear drives a 24 t gear on the long axle that connects the turntables.
DRIVE
The turntable contraptions are like the ones on the page mentioned before, with one
difference. The wheels are those pulley thingys about the size of a 24 t gear, and those
black tire things that go around them. Each center axle is about 10 units long. About 3/4
of the way up there is an 8 t gear. A bar with worm gears connects the 'back' 2
turntables, and is linked to the motor/ worm gear shaft driving the other turntable by 4
24 t gears. If you make this design bigger, then you must have an even number of gears,
so the shafts are turning opposite directions. For some reason, your wheels will turn in
2 directions if you have them turning the same way.
SENSORS
The 2 rotation sensors can be mounted anywhere, but I mounted mine on the worm gear
shafts.
There is a touch sensor mounted the front. The touch sensor has a bumper that goes across
the front, to detect collisions.
DIMENSIONS
Between the turntables and the basic level of the motors and everything is 1 1/3 bricks.
The drive shafts are put in bricks on top of that level. 5 1/3 bricks after that, and the
top of the steering assembly reached. There is a platform in the center of the robot
right on top of this level to hold the RCX.
The robot body is about 14 studs long.
BALANCE
To make the robot balance you need a counterweight on the side that the motors are not
on. This, on my robot, is another motor mounted on the side oppisite the 2 motors.

Motor1                 Motor2

                Motor3
         (CounterWeight)

PROBLEMS
The robot tips some times, if the wheels are rotated into certian positions.
I am trying to find 3 more wheel things, and put them on the other side of the axle(the
side with the bevel gear).
That should keep the robot from bringing all of its wheels under it self(that is how it
loses balance), by having a wheel rotate into the position that the other wheel left.

The robot also will not drive perfectly straight. I cannot figure out why, but I think it
is because the turntables cannot be linked together so that they are perfectly straight.

If anyone can help me solve these problems, because they really need to be sloved to
allow measurements to be taken so programming can begin.

If anything is not clear, then just tell me and I'll try to describe it better.

Andy

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii