 Robotics / 6923
6922  |  6924
Subject:
Touch Sensor Rotation Counter (was: proud of myself (+ some questions))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:27:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Matthew Miller writes:

Unfortunately, I don't have another rotation sensor, or another slip-clutch,
or a micromotor, so the steering part is less than my ideal, but still
worked out nicely. I used a touch sensor to determine the middle point, and
use a rack-and-pinion design, with the motor connected to a rubber band
(see, here's where the second slip-clutch would have been nicer) which slips
when the extremes are reached.

If you want to free up your rotation sensor and only have a need to count
rotations (as in this application) you might want to try my Touch Sensor
Rotation Counter (inspired by Laurentino Martins' design).  I find it a bit
easier to actually implement as the spacing is not critical and it can be
firmly mounted and is self contained.

I have building instructions, the LDraw .dat file, and NQC code to run it on
the web page http://spacehippie.com/rich/ts_rot_counter.html .  I did the step
pictures and .dat file with MLCad, a truly remarkable program!

Richard
richard at mailstart dot com