 Robotics / 6911
6910  |  6912
Subject:
Adding motor torque [was proud of myself (+ some questions)]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:58:27 GMT

=>From: mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
=>...
=>Wow, I can sure tell that there's only one motor. While it works great on
=>wood floors, it barely moves on carpet. Is there a good way to add a second
=>motor? I hesitate to just link them to gears in serial -- it seems like
=>there must be a better way. What is it? :)

A while ago, I recall people talking about applying power to the two
"output" shafts of a differential, and driving the rest of the train
from the diff body, as a way of using two motors that might run at
slightly different speeds to turn a heavy load.

=>Ideally, it'd be cool to have the two motors at different gears, and
=>auto-switch between the two as needed. The software part of this is easy --
=>any suggestions for the physical part?

Well, the Super Car description in the Lego S@H catalog suggests that
they've got a working 5-speed (+ reverse!) transmission in that kit.
(I hope I get one of those for my birthday, because I'd love to see
it.)  Anyway, I'm wondering if you couldn't set up a worm gear on a
drive shaft so that the _faster_ the shaft turns, the further the gear
slides along the shaft.  If the shaft slows down or stops, the worm
gear would return to its rest position.  Then, you use the gear's
motion to shift between high-speed and low-speed geartrains.  Hmmm,
maybe I'll see if I can build something like this...

d.