 Robotics / 6916
Re: proud of myself (+ some questions)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:17:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Matthew Miller writes:

Wow, I can sure tell that there's only one motor. While it works great on
wood floors, it barely moves on carpet. Is there a good way to add a second
motor? I hesitate to just link them to gears in serial -- it seems like
there must be a better way. What is it? :)

Ideally, it'd be cool to have the two motors at different gears, and
auto-switch between the two as needed. The software part of this is easy --
any suggestions for the physical part?

The two motors drivetrain (coupled through a differential) that others
suggested is a very practical and effective solution. If you want to try a
"different" thing you can set up a vehicle with two or more gears. Less
effective but fun to set up and run.
I did one months ago, actually one of my first things when I got out of my
dark age and was back to Lego (thanks to the Mindostorms RIS).
My gear was somewhat primitive and there are much better ways to implement it,
but it worked. I used a motor (not micro) to make the veichle switch gears.
As you already have a rotation sensor (I hadn't any at that time), you can use
it to detect the actual speed of your car. When it slows down, due to the
floor surface or slope, you can make your vehicle switch to a lower gear.
If you want to have a look at my S2 vehicle, this is the URL:
http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari/s2.html

Mario

http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari