 Robotics / 6565
Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:50:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Nate Ridderman writes:
have you tested this approach?

No. I read about it on web page that describes someone's line follower. They
said they had gotten it to work. Sorry, but I don't know the URL -- I've seen
so many line followers I can't keep track.

It seems like it would work, but the light
sensor would have to be fairly far off the surface to get a wide viewing area.

Sensor height, speed and line width all go hand-in-hand. I think this person
used 1 centimeter for both the width and the height and they didn't say much
about speed.

it seems it would also get a little hairy with the inconsistency of lighting
to determine between the middle and edge of the line.

As the ambient light level changes, the robot would follow a little closer or
further from the center of the line. If you tried to use that variable motor
speed idea I mentioned, that means it would also have more superfluous
(unnecessary) oscillation as the ambient light level drifts further from
normal.

You can improve this somewhat by having the robot calibrate itself somehow when
it starts up (like, by doing a full 360 rotation and noting the highest and
lowest readings it gets) and I guess you could try to recalibrate every now and
then if you had to deal with shadows.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13