 Robotics / 6562
Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:59:16 GMT

This is mainly for people who still want to stick to just one light sensor --

You can still figure out which way to turn even with just one sensor, by
following the edge of the line rather than trying to follow the center. This
works only if your line is wide enough to fill the light sensor's field of
view. Let's say it's a dark line on a light surface and you want to follow the
right edge -- if it gets real light you're off the line completely and you
should turn left. If it's real dark you're in the center of the line and you
need to turn right.

This design also allows you to have the speed depend on how far off center the
reading is, allowing for a more graceful movement than sudden starts and stops.
When you're further off center, the forward velocity would be less and the
turning velocity would be greater (but remember the motor speed control doesn't
work too well, you have to pulse the motors). That helps reduce superfluous
oscillation (it can't be eliminated entirely) and that helps increase your
maximum attainable speed. The details of your velocity functions will determine
how much oscillation remains and how sharp the curves can be before it really
slows down a lot.

In lugnet.robotics, Scott Smallbeck writes:
I am creating an entry for a line following contest at an upcoming robotics
event and I am looking for ideas on how to design my robot.  The models I
have built to date are based on a single light sensor but I have just
received a second light sensor and it seems to me I should be able to
produce a faster robot if it doesn't have to keep one sensor on the line but
can just keep the line in between the two sensors.  If anyone has built a
robot designed to follow a path as quickly as possible I would love hear
about it.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13