 Robotics / 6511
    Q:Best approach to line tracking —Scott Smallbeck
   I am creating an entry for a line following contest at an upcoming robotics event and I am looking for ideas on how to design my robot. The models I have built to date are based on a single light sensor but I have just received a second light sensor (...) (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking —Nate Ridderman
     (...) just program your robot to turn the opposite way as the sensor that goes off the line. i made a line tracker with one light sensor that had treads instead of wheels. when it got off the line, it started roving back and forth (more and more (...) (25 years ago, 24-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking —Todd Bertschi
     (...) I've built both (single and double sensors). You're going to have to play with the design of your robot. The programs are fairly quick, but if your bot starts swinging back and forth, the light sensor might not pick up the line all the time. (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking —Ben Williamson
     (...) Depending on the width of the line, you might be better off if you can keep both sensors on the line. That way there is a distinction between being on the line and being way off. If you find yourself way off, you can go searching back and (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking —Robert Munafo
   This is mainly for people who still want to stick to just one light sensor -- You can still figure out which way to turn even with just one sensor, by following the edge of the line rather than trying to follow the center. This works only if your (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking —Nate Ridderman
     have you tested this approach? it seems like it would work, but the light sensor would have to be fairly far off the surface to get a wide viewing area. it seems it would also get a little hairy with the inconsistency of lighting to determine (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking —Robert Munafo
     (...) No. I read about it on web page that describes someone's line follower. They said they had gotten it to work. Sorry, but I don't know the URL -- I've seen so many line followers I can't keep track. (...) Sensor height, speed and line width all (...) (25 years ago, 25-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Q:Best approach to line tracking —Jon Shemitz
   I've used a similar approach, and it does work, but you still can't go very fast. I'd like to try a double sensor approach, myself ... have a friend bringing a second set by this weekened. (...) (25 years ago, 26-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)