 Robotics / 6394
Re: ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:10:05 GMT

Hi All:

C2PO (contrary to popular opinion) I think that the RCX ver. 1.0 is
just fine as currently implemented.  It does an excellent job of meeting
the needs of it's target market (such as my two sons at 10 & 11 y.o.) as
well as providing a super playground for those who are more technically
advanced (such as Kekoa Proudfoot, Markus Noga, Dave Baum, and many,
many others).  It also is very useful in formal learning environments
as evidenced by the work of Mark Overmars at Utrecht University.

As human beings we will always want our toys to be better, and as
human males we will always want them to be bigger, but obsoleting
the RCX 1.0 with version creep isn't the answer.  In my view the RCX
is a classic like the VW bug and should not be destroyed by a multitude
of incremental changes as happened to the Bug.  If your Bug doesn't
go fast enough, then replace it with another of Dr. Porsche's designs
such as the Porsche Carrera.  If your RCX doesn't have enough power,
then replace it with with another of Dr. Martin's designs such as the
HandyBoard.

Just as there are other routes for upgrading the VW Bug, there are
other choices for upgrading the RCX.  As well as using the HandyBoard,
my robot playing has led me to supplementing the RCX with the BASIC
Stamp from Parallax and the PIC from Microchip as well as replacing
the Mindstorms environment with NQC and RCX-CC.

Of course my perspective on this is biased ... I'm an old fart who
remembers complaining when I was forced to buy a car with an automatic
choke since manual choke carbs were no longer used in production.

Is that two cents worth?

- Nick -