 Robotics / 6393
Re: A quick afterthough on - Ideas for a RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:03:31 GMT

From: John Barnes <barnes@sensors.com>
Anyone who is seriously involved in designing new sensors etc for
use with the RCX could probably do their own RCX replacement as well?

It has been done, but it predated the RCX.  Check out the Handyboard.

The advantage to the RCX is that it is a standard platform which is readily
available.  I can go out and buy a kit, then build a robot.  I can then
explain how I built this robot to you, and you can build the same thing with
easy to find, off the shelf parts.

If you want to build more advanced robots there are magazines and books
discussing the issue.  There just isn't another platform which is as readily
available as the RCX.

alex