 Robotics / 6327
6326  |  6328
Subject:
8480 Space Shuttle (was Re: Gears & Mico Motor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:45:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Tilman Sporkert) writes:
Yes, if you get your hands on one of the Space Shuttle sets, buy it! The
main motor drives four different functions through a gearbox that contains
at least 50 gear wheels of various types! The landing gear locking mechanism
by itself is pretty awesome, too. There's one manual lever that moves all
three landing gears.

You get tons of gears, axles (white ones too), a normal and a micro motor, a
fiber optic unit, two reversing switches, a battery box, and most important,
lots of ideas that you can copy into designs of your own.

8480 Space Shuttle is still at the Toys-R-Us in Kingston, MA (I was there last
night). They have at least two (probably 4 or 5 but I didn't dig all the way to
the back of the shelf to count them). Despite a $159.99 price on the shelf, it
comes up on the register as $129.99.

I bought my set on clearance for $75 in a toy store in Germany. I was there
for vacation a few weeks ago. [...]

Do you really mean US $75? Wouldn't it have been about DEM 138 or Euro 71? US$
75 is pretty darm low, it's almost as low as the $72 LEGO would have charged
the store.

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13