 Robotics / 5982
  Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

Yet another comment about my "beacon" ideas. Yesterday I talked with someone who was involved in Joel Shafer's "soda can challenge" that was proposed in this message: (URL) learned that the primary reason people are trying to locate their *position* (...) (25 years ago, 2-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

(...) How does the robot know if it has reached the destination, or if it has run into the emitter even? By a sudden change in the direction of the beacon? Cheers, Hao-yang Wang (25 years ago, 3-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

(...) Some "secondary" reasons: 1) You may want to make sure that the entire area is covered. 2) If you bring back the soda cans one by one, you may want to resume your search from the location of the last soda can, instead of starting it all over. (...) (25 years ago, 3-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

I realize people have been talking about multiple cans, but Joel's message (URL) actually specified just one can, using the words "find a [...] can", "pick up the can", and "[...] of the coke can". As for making sure the whole area is covered, (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

(...) Once you return to the start point, you've already finished the task as Joel Shafer specified it. Anything that happens after that point would be irrelevant. I'll quote his specification again just in case people have forgotten: "Be the first (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

(...) You can find the complete rules here: (URL) are three cans to retrieve. (...) Advanced knowledge that there are exactly three cans makes it easier. You don't have to make sure that the whole area is covered, you just have to find the three (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

(...) clearer pictures of it? I am particularly interested in how the lasso works. (Is it a lasso?) Cheers, Hao-yang Wang (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

Thank you for the pointer Joel. I didn't know about it because you didn't mention it in the original message thread (namely, the thread in which you originally proposed the challenge). I am adding a message to that thread now so that future (...) (25 years ago, 5-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be

(...) Wouldn't that consist of "prior knowledge about the room"? (25 years ago, 5-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)