 Robotics / 4611
Re: Dark seeker project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:16:04 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dennis Clark writes:

It wanders about looking for a really dark place
and when it finds it for 5 readings, it shuts
down and sleeps until light wakes it up.  In the
mean time it avoids objects and corners.  This is
quite a challenge for it in my livingroom, dining
room area!  This is where I turn it loose to live
or die in the finest tradition of Brooks, to deal
with a _real_ environment.  Although the darn light
sensor keeps vibrating loose from its wheel mount...

Could you elaborate more on "it shuts down and sleeps
until light wakes it up"?  What do you mean by "shuts
down" exactly?  How are you doing the "light wakes it
up" part?

I'm interested in this, as I would like to eventually
have my wanderer going into some form of low-battery-usage
sleep mode for several hours at a time.

I have pics of it, but I have to develope the film
as I haven't convinced myself to spring for a digital
camera just yet, not quite yet...  So it'll be on my
web page eventually.

I'd like to see the pics eventually.  Please make a post
here when they are available (or email me directly if you
would like).