 Robotics / 4530
4529  |  4531
Subject:
Dark seeker project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 02:35:38 GMT

  I have finally built a creation with my Mindstorms
kit that uses all of the sensors (some twice) and
all of the motor connections!  It has two bump
switches for a collision detector on the front,
one of my RCX IRPD modules to try to detect
potential collisions before they happen and a
light sensor mounted on a boom that is swivelled
left and right seeking the direction with the
least light.  I have another bump switch on the
light sensor boom so it knows when it reached far
enough left or right.

  It wanders about looking for a really dark place
and when it finds it for 5 readings, it shuts
down and sleeps until light wakes it up.  In the
mean time it avoids objects and corners.  This is
quite a challenge for it in my livingroom, dining
room area!  This is where I turn it loose to live
or die in the finest tradition of Brooks, to deal
with a _real_ environment.  Although the darn light
sensor keeps vibrating loose from its wheel mount...

  I have pics of it, but I have to develope the film
as I haven't convinced myself to spring for a digital
camera just yet, not quite yet...  So it'll be on my
web page eventually.

  It looks pretty cool wandering about with its
red eye swivelling back and forth looking for a
place to sleep.  I am a very proud parent.  This
was all a test thought to see if I could program
that much activity that wouldn't keep stepping
on each other's feet with three independent tasks
running concurrently.  My next task will be to
have a robot that runs around looking for red
or blue lego bricks and picking them up.  This
will be a bit more challenging!  Perhaps avoiding
blue ones and seeking red ones, that might be
even more fun.  These Lego Mindstorms kits paired
with Dave Baum's NQC programming language/
compiler make an enormously powerful little
package.  I am most impressed.

having great fun!
DLC