 Robotics / 4531
Re: **lego motors?**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:50:40 GMT

Antony Furneaux wrote:

I haven't got the Super Car 8880 (It came and went in my dark ages,
anyone got one for sale in the UK). I think I understand how it works, how
small do you think you could make that with RIS parts?

I don't think that it would take up a lot of space at all.  In fact, the
largest part should be the motor that is used to engage/disengage the
gear.  Using a tractor hub, two 16-T gears, and two axles (with other
parts to hold this all together, one could make a fairly simple design.
Use one 16-T gear and one axle on one side of the hub that is constantly
engaged to the hub.  Then use the other gear and axle on the other side
of the hub, with some mechanism that uses a motor or some other source
of force to slide the axle and gear in and out of the hub, engaging and
disengaging it.
I have been spending about 2 years building a lego Honda CRX, little by
little, and have recently gotten the rcx to control the 4-speed gearbox
and the 4-cylinder engine that feeds to the front wheels.  The rcx isn't
strong enough to propel the car (because the thing weighs like 7 lbs),
but it's interesting to see the different gear ratios affect how fast
the engine and wheels turn.  Unfortunately I took the rcx out of the car
before taking pics in order to build a robot with a motion detector (I
just bought the pyroelectric sensor this weekend).
--
Cheers,
Henry C.